Selecting the right contractor is one of the most important aspects of your home remodeling project. After all, this is the person who will be in your home, with his team, for an extended period of time. Here are five questions to ask before hiring a contractor:
1. Are they licensed and insured? Be aware that any contractor doing business in Pennsylvania is legally required to be both licensed and insured. If for any reason your proposed contractor cannot provide you with proof of both, you should steer clear.
2. Do they have reviews and testimonials? If this contractor has been doing business for at least a year or two, then chances are they should have some reviews or testimonials online. Some contractors will provide you with their reviews as well as a list of clients that can be reached by phone or email. You can find reviews on their Facebook page, Google, Yelp, HomeAdvisor, along with many other sites.
3. Are they associated with any national organizations? Accredited organizations like the National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI) and the Better Business Bureau vet their members to ensure that they are certified professionals in the home improvement field. Check to see if your contractor is affiliated with these or other nationally accredited organizations.
4. Have they won any awards? While awards are certainly not necessary for a contractor to be good, it does help in many cases to show that the contractor has been in the industry long enough to have won an award or two.
5. Are they able to provide a timeline for your project? If your potential contractor cannot give you at least a realistic timeline for your project, then it may be a sign of inexperience, or something even worse.
Don’t forget that one of the best ways to find a great contractor is by asking your friends and family for recommendations. At Remodeling Concepts, our goal is to provide amazing service to every single client, so we become the go-to remodeler for our clients, along with their friends and family members!